Monday, September 01, 2003

Back to Work

Blogging has been exceedingly light (actually non-existent) this past week as I have been discovering firsthand the difficulties involved in doing much of anything when tending to the needs of a week-old baby. The rest of the world suddenly seems less important at times like this, but I will try to get back into the groove of daily posting this week.

I am eternally grateful to my employer for giving me two weeks of "paternity leave" to stay at home with my son. But it is still a very short time and I am exceedingly jealous of my wife who will stay home with the baby for 12 weeks. But I suppose she earned that privilege after going through nine months of pregnancy and a C-section.

Still, it would be nice to have more time that I could take off. I think there is a lot of merit to the arguments made by Juliet B. Schor in her book The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure and by former Labor Secretary Robert Reich who says that Americans should have four weeks of paid vacation every year as a rule.

Happy Labor Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment