Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wacky Packs


Wow. This brings back memories.

At 9 years old, I became hooked on the Topps-brand sticker series of product parodies, which recast Cap'n Crunch as "Cap'n Crud" and Nestle's Quik as "Nutlee's Quit" ("Explodes Instantly with Milk").


I can’t say they had as much influence on me as they did on that writer, but I do recall buying packs of those stickers in the early ‘70s when I was 7-8 years old. My source was the concession stand at the baseball fields where I played Little League games.
My biggest regret now is that I didn’t save the money I blew on Wacky Packs and buy more baseball cards from 1973-74. I don’t have any of the Wacky stickers left because I peeled them all off and stuck them on an old filing cabinet that was in my bedroom. I no longer have that filing cabinet or the stickers, but I still have my baseball cards.
But for those who missed out on this cultural phenomenon, it looks like Wacky Packs are making a comeback.
Fortunately, my kids are still too young to have any interest in such things. But I’m sure in a few more years there will be things equally inane for them to waste their money on and then have fond nostalgic recollections about years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment