Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Initial thoughts on the new Pope

Ratzinger. Wow. What an awful name. Good thing he will be known as Pope Benedict rather than Pope Ratzinger.
On the other hand, Pope Joseph wouldn’t have been so bad, but I don’t know when the last time a Pope was allowed to keep his own name.
And it’s Pope Benedict XVI. How original. But then what did we expect from someone who is intent on keeping every aspect of church doctrine the same as it has been for hundreds of years? Still, Ratzinger is no more conservative than John Paul II was so everything is still just status quo.
So I am rather indifferent to the whole thing. If it were up to me I would have shaken things up and picked a woman to be the next pope. But of course I’m not Catholic so it doesn’t matter what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment