Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Bush's iPod


The GWB edition of the iPod
Originally uploaded by mathowie.
I suppose this story was inevitable.
We now know what tunes President Bush likes to listen to on his new iPod. What does it say about the president when we analyze a random list of the songs programmed into his digital juke box? Nothing really. But we like to read about it anyway.
Here is a sample of his playlist from the NYTimes:

John Fogerty - "Centerfield" (Supposedly the song played at Texas Rangers baseball games while he was a part-owner.)
Van Morrison - "Brown Eyed Girl"
John Hiatt - "Circle Back"
Alan Jackson - unspecified
George Jones - unspecified
Alejandro Escovedo - "Castanets"
Joni Mitchell "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care"
The Gourds - "El Paso"
Blackie and the Rodeo Kings - "Swinging From the Chains of Love"
Stevie Ray Vaughn - "The House is Rockin'"
James McMurtry - "Valley Road"
The Thrills - "Say It Ain't So"
The Knack - "My Sharona"


I'll just say first that it's doubtful Bush actually picked all these songs himself. The story notes that the job of loading songs onto his iPod fell to a staffer who probably picks stuff he thinks the boss will like. Second, you can bet this list was perused by Bush's handlers before it was passed out to the media. And the bit about "My Sharona" being a dirty song is silly. I've listened to that song all my life and never gave it a second thought. What good rock song isn't dirty at some level?

Overall I find the list a bit boring. But mostly I'm just jealous because I don't have an iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment