Tuesday, November 02, 2004

My voting experience

I cast my vote this morning and it wasn’t as bad as I had feared. The thought of standing in line for up to two hours with a fidgety 1-year-old had dissuaded my wife and I from trying to early vote last Friday when the lines were wrapped around the buildings. But this morning at my regular voting precinct we only had to stand in line for about 15 minutes. We had packed the diaper bag full of toys and an extra bottle just in case but didn’t have to get it out of the car.
I couldn’t find our current voter registration cards so I brought along the old ones which still have our current address. It turned out not to be a problem. There were a few people that had to be turned away because their precinct location had been changed at the last minute, but noone got too upset about it. I was surprised when our across-the-street neighbors turned up just as we were leaving and found out that they are in a different precint that votes at another location. We live on a dead-end street in a new subdivision and we are still divided up like that. Unbelievable.
The new touch-screen voting machines were pretty easy to use. But it is still a little disconcerting to just push a flashing button at the end and have the screen suddenly clear out and say “Thanks for voting.”
Well, it is no big secret who I voted for. Now I am ready for today to be over with. I hate not knowing how it all turns out.
I’ve been through seven presidential elections since I was old enough to be aware of what was going on. The biggest disappointment was in 1988 when I was so emotionally invested in the Dukakis campaign. The most pleasant surprise was 1992 when Clinton won the first time. I don’t even like to think about four years ago. So now we just wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment