Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Comic suggestions

The San Antonio Express-News has a fairly decent comics selection although it still leaves a lot to be desired.
By my count they have 45 regular comics features - 39 on the two-page comics section, two that have been pushed over to the Advice page, Dilbert that runs in the Business section and three that are relegated to the Editorial page - Doonesbury, Mallard Fillmore and locally-based Nacho Guarache.

Of these there are about a dozen that I read regularly even on a busy day and a few more I might skim if I have a little more time. They include:

For Better or For Worse
Curtis
Rose is Rose
Luann
Zits
Fox Trot
Garfield
Get Fuzzy
One Big Happy
Non Sequitur
The Piranha Club
Doonesbury

If I have time I may also read:

Baby Blues
Jump Start
Baldo
Mutts
Bizarro
Sally Forth
Classic Peanuts
and Dilbert

And on rare occasion I may also skim:

Blondie
Beetle Bailey
B.C.
Wizard of Id
Cathy
Pickles
Mother Goose and Grimm
Frank-n-Ernest
and Family Circus

Strips that can go away as far as I’m concerned include:

The Lockhorns
The Quigmans
Born Loser
Broom Hilda
Willy-n-Ethel
Amazing Spider Man
Marmaduke
Marvin
Hi & Lois
Hagar the Horrible
Dennis the Menace
Fred Bassett
and Grand Avenue

If the E-N would clear off some of the dead wood from its comics page it could make room for some far superior strips. Here are a few of the very best that I try to read everyday online:

Big Nate
Monty
Pibgorn
Rudy Park
Heart of the City
Preteena
Drabble

They might also consider adding a couple of liberal strips like:

The Boondocks
La Cucaracha

to balance out the right-wing troika of Mallard/Nacho/Prickly City that currently goes up against Doonesbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment