Monday, September 12, 2005

Fall movies

I thought I’d take a short break from my Bush-bashing crusade to talk about the new movies coming out this fall. The NYTimes had a beg write up on them this Sunday and the LATimes has a handy list here.
Here are some that caught my interest:

I think the Johnny Cash biopic “Walk The Line” should be good with Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon in the lead roles. Hopefully it will be on par with the Ray Charles biopic from last year.

Another biopic on Truman Capote with Philip Semour Hoffman in the title role looks like a case of perfect casting.

Then there is Tim Burton’s “Corpse Bride” as a follow-up to his “Nightmare Before Christmas” film. I can’t tell if Danny Elfman will be doing the music for this one but I hope he is.

I don’t know much about Wallace & Gromit, but I’m looking forward to seeing the new movie by the same folks that did “Chicken Run.”

Disney is also coming out with “Chicken Little,” it’s first computer animated film that is not by Pixar. I personally think they need to reopen their traditional animation studio and just re-up their contract with Pixar, but I’ll check out the new films just the same.

I think there is supposed to be another Harry Potter movie this fall and a movie based on C.S. Lewis’ “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.”

But this also looks to be another big year for the Lord of the Rings alumni. Peter Jackson, the director of “Lord of the Rings” is set to release his “King Kong” film just before Christmas. Elijah Wood, who played Frodo is starring in two films - “Green Street Hooligans” and “Everything is Illuminated”; Viggo Mortensen, who played Aragorn, is starring in “A History of Violence”; Orlando Bloom, who played Legolas, is in the new Cameron Crowe film “Elizabethtown”; and Sean Bean, who played Boromir, rounds out the all-star cast of “North Country.”

No comments:

Post a Comment