Friday, September 12, 2003

Still at the top of his game

Johnny Cash, Country Music's Bare-Bones Realist, Dies at 71

Some of the first music I can remember listening to as a child was Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison which my dad had on reel-to-reel tape. Most of the songs were over my head at that age, but for some reason the song “25 Minutes To Go” about a man counting down the minutes to his execution really stuck with me.
Many years later when I was in high school I remember being moved upon first hearing his tribute song "Ira Hayes" about the Native American WWII veteran who helped raise the flag at Iwo Jima.

Norbizness has one of the better tributes to Cash by simply posting the lyrics to his song “The Man in Black.” I'm not sure if there was ever a more radical protest song in our nation's history.

Check out Cash’s last work the music video - for his cover of the Nine Inch Nails song “Hurt” which won all kinds of accolades this year from MTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment