Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Golden Globes

I’m probably never going to see Brokeback Mountain, the big winner at yesterday’s Golden Globe awards.
Not because of the gay theme, but because it just sounds depressing. I don’t want to go see a movie about a guy cheating on his wife. I don’t care if he is cheating with a woman or another man, either way the end result is depressing. I’ve never seen American Beauty either for much the same reason.
Nor do I have any interest in seeing The Squid and the Whale, or Crash, or any number of other critically raved but depressing films this year.
It’s not that all my films have to be upbeat, happy, feel-good stories, but there is a degree of escapism one expects when going to the theater and an up close and personal view of someone else’s miserable life is not my idea of a good time.
I don’t really care if Brokeback Mountain wins the Oscar this year. I’m rather indifferent to it. But when it comes to spending my time and money I’ll be seeing Walk the Line or Good Night, Good Luck or King Kong when I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment