Monday, May 23, 2005

All-Time 100 Movies

Time Magazine’s movie critics are coming out with their ALL-TIME 100 Movies this week. Their list is filled with obscure foreign films I’ve never seen and probably never will.
A better effort, in my opinion, is the American Film Institute’s 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES series.

Following is my personal list of the All-Time 100 Movies based on my obviously limited exposure to mostly American-made films of the past 40 years.
My only criteria for including movies on the list was that I have actually seen them in their entirety and if they were to come on TV right now the liklihood that I would drop whatever I was doing and watch them again.


Abyss, The
Adventures of Robin Hood
African Queen, The
Aladdin
Amadeus
Annie Hall
Apollo 13
Arsenic and Old Lace
Arthur
Author, Author
Back to the Future
Batman
Ben-Hur
Beverly Hills Cop
Birds, The
Blazing Saddles
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Casablanca
Chariots of Fire
Citizen Kane
Conan the Barbarian
Cool Hand Luke
Court Jester, The
Dirty Dozen, The
Dirty Harry
Dr. Strangelove
Duck Soup
Emperor’s New Groove, The
Fish Called Wanda, A
French Connection, The
Fugitive, The
General, The
Ghost
Ghostbusters
Godfather, The I & II
Gold Rush, The
Gone With the Wind
Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The
Graduate, The
Grease
Great Escape, The
Groundhog Day
Hard Day’s Night, A
Harry Potter series
High Noon
It’s a Wonderful Life
James Bond series
Jerry Maguire
JFK
Jurassic Park
Karate Kid, The
King and I, The
Koyaanisqatsi
LA Confidential
Lawrence of Arabia
Lethal Weapon
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Maltese Falcon, The
Mary Poppins
MASH
Matrix, The
Men in Black
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Notting Hill
Philadelphia Story, The
Pirates of the Caribbean
Planet of the Apes
Platoon
Poltergeist
Princess Bride, The
Pulp Fiction
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Road to Morocco (and Singapore, Utopia, Rio, Zanzibar, etc.)
Road Warrior, The
Searchers, The
Silverado
Singin’ In the Rain
Some Like it Hot
Sound of Music, The
Spiderman I and II
Stagecoach
Star Trek series
Star Wars trilogy
Take the Money and Run
Taxi Driver
Ten Commandments, The
Terminator I & II
This is Spinal Tap
Time Bandits
To Kill a Mockingbird
Total Recall
Toy Story I & II
True Grit
Unforgiven
Vertigo
Westworld
What’s Up, Doc?
Witness
Wizard of Oz
Working Girl


Update:

Because 100 is such an arbitrary number, here are a few more movies that would make my All-Time Best list.

The Sting
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Braveheart
Little Big Man
True Lies
Godzilla (the original)
Monster's Inc.
Giant
Guys and Dolls
The Quiet Man
Seabiscuit
2001 A Space Odyssey
Die Hard
The Breakfast Club
Apocalypse Now
Going My Way
An American in Paris
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pink Panther series
Oh God!
Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness
Contact
Bowfinger
Omega Man
Crimson Tide

No comments:

Post a Comment