Sunday, October 05, 2003

Cubs win!

I got to see a Cubs game at Wrigley Field with my parents some time in the early '70s when I was about 8. My Dad was stationed at Grissom AFB in Indiana and we went mainly to see the hapless Astros play. All I remember is that the Cubs won and Billy Williams hit a home run.
So I'm glad to see the Cubs finally make it back to the Post-season for the first time since 1908. I'll be rooting for them to knock off the Florida Marlins and make it to the World Series where I'm guessing they would end up facing the Yankees.

I haven't paid much attention to the Marlins this year, but it looks like Pudge Rodriguez nearly single-handedly helped them to knock off the Giants. I still can't believe the Rangers let Pudge go. It figures that they end up in the last place while Pudge takes his new team to the Playoffs. It reminds me of the idiot owners of the Cinncinnati Reds in the late-70s and early-80s when they decided to break up the Big Red Machine and started trading off everyone except Johnny Bench. They even let Sparky Anderson go and Sparky responded by taking the Detroit Tigers to the World Series while the Reds wallowed in last place.

I'll be rooting for the Red Sox to make a miracle comeback against the A's tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment