Monday, August 04, 2003

Pirate movie

I saw “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I never saw that last big pirate movie that was such a bomb - “Cutthroat Island” - so I can’t compare it with that one, but my wife thought this film was like one of the classic Sinbad movies from the 1960s and I would have to agree. Being a Disney film, I was a little afraid that it would be too cleaned up - in other words, lots of fighting where nobody ever dies - but that wasn’t the case. There was plenty of realistic fighting and action - they just refrained from showing blood spurting in slow motion at every opportunity.
The acting was very good in the film. I was interested in seeing Orlando Bloom in his first big role outside of playing Legolas the elf in Lord of the Rings as well as “Bend It Like Beckham”s Keira Knightly.
But it was Johnny Depp who stole the show playing the pirate Capt. Jack Sparrow who he said was patterned after Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones. I’ve been a Johnny Depp fan for some time now, at least since ‘95 when he did the delightlful “Don Juan DeMarco.” I think Depp is probably due for an Oscar nomination soon, probably not for this role but maybe something else he has in the works. I saw where his next big film will be the Richard Rodriguez directed “Once Upon A Time in Mexico,” another action movie. But after that it looks like he will have a top-level drama “Neverland” playing the role of J.M. Barrie, the author of the Peter Pan children’s books.
This may have been the last film we will see in a theater for awhile as the impending birth of our first child is drawing ever nearer. I guess that’s what DVDs are for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment